Border rivals face off at Duke’s Mayo Bowl
Bowl of Mayo Duke
North Carolina (6-6) vs. South Carolina (6-6)
Charlotte, North Carolina • Thursday, December 30, 2021 • 11:30 am ET
Bank of America Stadium (74,867) • ESPN
Series vs SC: NC leads 35-19-4
Series series: NC won the last game
Last meeting against SC: 2019 (F, 24-20)
Last UNC victory: 2019 (F, 24-20)
Record: 6-6 (3-5 ACC)
The Head Coach: Mack Brown (Florida State, ’74)
Overall record: 265-138-1, 33rd year
UNC Record: 90-62-1, Grade 13
CAROLINE FROM THE SOUTH
Recording: 6-6 (3-5 SEC)
Head Coach: Shane Beamer (Virginia Tech, ’99)
Overall record: 6-6, first year
South Carolina record: 6-6, first year
Kick-off: 11:30 a.m.ET
ESPN: Anish Shroff, game by game; Mike Golic Jr., analyst; Taylor McGregor on the sidelines
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones angell, game by game; Brian Simmons, Analyst; Lee Pace, on the sidelines
Bowl Season Radio: Brian Estridge, play-by-play; John Denton, Analyst; Molly Cotten, out of the way
Satellite radio: Sirius (137), XM (202), App (965)
Website: A live radio broadcast from the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on the official UNC website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
TAR HEELS AND GAMECOCKS
North Carolina and South Carolina will meet on the soccer field for the 59th time at Duke’s Mayo Bowl 2021 on Thursday, December 30 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
• The first meeting dates back to 1908, however, this will only be the fifth one-on-one meeting since 1991.
• Once conference rivals at the Atlantic Coast Conference, the two schools met at least twice a decade from 1900 to 1980. While they were members of the ACC (South Carolina left in 1971), both schools played every year from 1953 to 1970, with the exception of 1965 and 1966. In those 16 meetings as ACC opponents, North Carolina won nine times.
• The rivalry will continue in 2023 in Charlotte during the opening weekend of Bank of America Stadium.
• A home-and-home series is scheduled for Columbia in 2028 and Chapel Hill in 2029.
HISTORY OF THE CAROLINA BOWL
• Carolina, in her 36th playoff appearance, holds a 15-20 bowl game record.
• The Tar Heels are participating in a bowl game for the third year in a row. Last season, Carolina fell 41-27 to Texas A&M in the Orange Bowl.
• In 2019, UNC defeated Temple, 55-13, in the Military Bowl.
MACK BROWN’S BOWL STORY
• Mack Brown holds a 15-9 record in bowl games, including guiding the Tar Heels to six straight games in 1992-97 and in 2019 and 2020.
• Brown is 4-3 in bowl games he coached at UNC, winning the 1993 Peach Bowl over Mississippi State, 21-17, the 1995 Carquest Bowl over Arkansas, 20 -10, the 1997 Gator Bowl vs. West Virginia, 20-13, and the 2019 Military Bowl over the Temple, 55-13. He left for Texas before the 1998 Gator Bowl.
BROWN VS. CAROLINE FROM THE SOUTH
• Mack Brown is 2-3 against South Carolina with the next five games as head coach of the Tar Heels.
CAROLINE AU BOL À MAYO DU DUC
Carolina is 1-3 in four previous bowl games played in Charlotte, NC UNC lost to Boston College, 37-24, in 2004, lost to West Virginia, 31-30, in 2008, lost to Pittsburgh , 19-17, in 2009 and defeated Cincinnati, 39-17, in 2013.
• Carolina opens the 2022 season at home against FAMU on August 27.